Monday, September 12, 2011

Blog #2 YGBB Chapters 1,2, and 3

As I was reading the three chapters for homework, all I could do was put myself right into the book and act as if I was Mr. Wilhelm, which if you read my last blog, that is what I do with all stories.  That is how I hope to inspire all my kids to read because it doesnt make you think about questions that you will be asked later on what you read and you can acutally enjoy what you are reading. 

In chapter one, it opened by talking about how in order to enter Mr. Wilhelm's class you had to have an entrance ticket.  This would consist of a book, a high five, and saying, "I am a reader!"  I thought this was an awesome way to get students enthusiastic about reading.  There will always be a student like Marvin who does not like to read at all because of his previous experiences.

I learned about the bottom-up approach last semester a little bit and I think it is a terrible way to learn.  When I was growing up I was taught how to read using both bottom-up approach and the top-down approach.  I think this was a really good way because I got some of the necessary phoenics skills I needed and did not get bored with all the letter sounds while learning to read.

The qoute that is on page 23, really got to me.  I was thinking about how if a student as an adolescent and doesnt love to read, is it our job to make them love it or at least try? I think we really should.  If we show enthusiasm about reading and try our best to get students to be the same way, then we might succeed.  I aslo thought that when I am a teacher and I have to mark that a student is "low level" because I am reading a classic, then I am going to try and sneek in a grapgic novel or a satire to spice up class a little but and see if the students understand those kinds of stories better.

I hope to make students think that reading is the "cool" thing to do.  I was told about a video called "Gotta Keep Reading" and it is a mix if the "I Gotta Feeling" song by the Black Eyed Peas.  It is an awesome video and I want to teach all my students the dance and that song so that they might think it is cooler somehow from this video.  I think students will enjoy it because it has a popular song mixed up a little and it would be easy to learn the words because of that. 

As I was reading chapter 2 I was thinking about students with disabilities a lot because of course that was what the chapter was about.  I worked at a camp for disabled kids for a few summers and volunteered there as well and I am familiar with a lot of disabilities.  I also observed teachers that have had learning disability students in there. 

When I am a teacher and come across students like these in my classroom, I am sure I am going to be nervous.  These students will have a little more difficulty with things in my classroom.  I also hated to hear that those students that have LD in the book were people that hated reading a lot because they are not good at it.  Also when the one student said that they did not like that teachers asked questions at the end and it ruined the reading.  I am honestly not sure how to handle that because as teachers we will ask questions about the content of the story and on standardized tests there are readings with questions after them.  The only thing I could think of to try and avoid question asking is to have the students discuss with each other rather than me.

Like, in chapter 3, the students wrote literary letters to each other and I thought this was an excellent thought because it includes writing, discussing the book, and then I could collect them and see how well the students are understanding the story.  That means I have a good way to assess the students as they are reading.

I also liked the symbolic story representations.  I think most of the students would enjoy doing this for a story because some students are visual learners and this could help the interpret a story better if they had it acted our more.

When I saw in chapter 3 that one of the students did not understand the story until they put themsleves into the characater's body, I knew the student was like me because that was/is the way I read. 

There are so many things in this book that made me really think about how to teach these adolescents how to read.  It helped me realize there will be difficult students and ones that love to read and somehow we need to compensate for them both.  As teachers, we will always have challenges with students because none of them are easy at this stage because they do not think reading is cool and even if they do they will not like the book you assign in class.  I hope when I am teaching, I will remember to refer back to this book in time of need to remind me of all the different teaching styles that Mr. Wilhelm did to help his students become better readers so that I cna do the same thing for my students!

8 comments:

  1. Doesn't it make you wonder when reading became not so popular? We share a lot of similar ideas! I think it was a great activity to involve story cutouts because visual learning is still learning. Teachers just need to adapt to the needs of their students in order to engage them. When they become engaged that when teachers get the best results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see that Wilhelm's experiences in the classroom have you thinking about how you might "rethink" teaching English to your own students and challenging traditional approaches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am one of those students who didn't like reading for school because I didn't like the teacher asking a whole bunch of leading questions. But you make a good point that, as teachers, we will ask questions. Maybe a solution here is to either ask more open-ended questions and assure students there are not right/wrong answers. Or we could engage students in ways that don't include answering questions, like having them write a short story from one of the character's points of view, or something like it that shows the reader's comprehension of the book without asking specific questions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you have a lot of ideas to get students to enjoy reading. It is important to get the students engaged so that you can do more in class with them. The strategies in class need to be mixed up so the students do not get frustrated with the same thing all the time. I was one of the students, along with Anne, who started to dislike reading in school because we just got worksheets and questions all the time. It became something that I did not enjoy in school at all.
    I loved the quote you mentioned too. Isn't it our job to at least try to make a kid love reading? The first chapters in this book has already given us good ideas and I think it is wonderful that you are connecting those ideas to other parts of your life too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also think that the entrance ticket idea is a great thing! I first learned about this strategy in my Fundamentals of Math class. Both professors that I had would have either an entrance ticket that we had to complete in which we had to solve a problem using the skills we learned in class the previous day or an exit ticket in which we had to use the skills we learned that day to solve a problem before leaving. I really liked this idea because it holds students accountable for the material that is covered, yet it doesn’t “scare” them with the word test or quiz. It seems more like a fun activity to do in class, yet it still assesses students to make sure they are making progress.

    I consider the “Gotta Keep Reading” video amazing as well. I think that this idea helps reading become a social activity which is important to get across to students. I was one of those students in middle school who thought that it wasn’t “cool” to read anymore, so I think that involving modern media and things that are popular with the students into the reading experience are wonderful ideas. I think that when students see all the connections between reading and things they enjoy, they might realize that it isn’t really a boring or “lame” thing to do. I wish that someone would have incorporated this into my schooling growing up!

    When you talk about how many students hate the questioning that goes along with books it made me really think. It will be a hard issue to address because as a teacher you are required to ask about the stories content, etc., but I believe that as a teacher you can create deep-level thinking questions that get students to really think about a story without asking the everyday, typical “boring” questions that they have been asked their entire life. I think if we can word those types of questions in new ways and think of new ways to go about them, it would help achieve more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know if it is the same video you saw, but I looked up a Gotta Keep Reading video and I love it so much! Thanks for sharing that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you when you say it is important for students to put themselves into the story. In every book that I read, I find a characteristic of each character that I can relate to and put myself in their shoes. When I read a really good story, I actually have dreams about it. For example, when I was reading "The Hunger Games" last semester, I kept having dreams that I was trying to survive in that environment. It made me think deeper and find more meaning behind the story. I think that if all students can find a characteristic they can relate to they will become more engaged readers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also looked up the Gotta Keep Reading video that you mentioned. That was actually pretty neat! Although, it led me on a never ending circle of watching YouTube videos that popped up on the sidebar :D I'm also a reader that places myself into the story as I am making my way through the story line. I hope that suggesting my students do the same, will help them to understand/enjoy the books more.

    ReplyDelete